Sr. Network Engineer
Trade Street Consulting has been asked to assist a client in Charlotte in locating a full time Sr. Network Engineer. The job description is below. If interested, please send an updated word-version resume along with salary expectations.
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
- The Senior Data Communications Engineer will manage network routers, switches, load balancers and related components to ensure the highest level of availability and security of the supported business applications. This position is responsible for architecting network solutions, vendor relationship management, serve as the highest-level escalation point for the Data Communications team, and partner with business associates to establish current and future technology needs.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs, plans and implements data communications networks using the latest technology to prepare for business growth.
- Development and design of highly available, tightly integrated, secure, flexible, and fault-tolerant networking systems.
- Researches and evaluates new network communications technologies and makes recommendations to management.
- Designs and Supports F5 LTM and GTM load balancers.
- Monitors network performance, ensures capacity planning is performed, and is proactive in assessing and making recommendations for improvement.
- Serve as a mentor to foster career growth as the staff senior engineer.
- Provides daily support of client’s LAN, WAN, Wireless and E-Commerce Network Infrastructures. This includes: monitoring, administering and troubleshooting to maximize network availability.
- Performs physical setup, installation, configuration and troubleshooting of network devices.
- Work closely with IT Help Desk, Distributed Systems and AS/400 groups to provide 2nd and 3rd level support of network issues.
- Works closely with third party vendors for administrative support for segments of client routers, switches and cabling infrastructures.
- Updates and documents data communications systems and procedures as required.
- Works as a team member on department and cross functional projects.
- Manages small to large network projects.
- Designs, Implements and supports Cisco Nexus core and distribution LAN Technologies.
- Designs, Implements and supports applications optimization, load balancing and WAN optimization.
- Designs and Implements access switch technologies involving stacking, POE, QOS and Fiber
- Ensures that client's change control policies and procedures are followed.
- Fosters the client Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of client’s vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum seven years of hands on experience with LAN and WAN architectures and technologies required.
- Minimum five years supporting and engineering Cisco Nexus line of switches and Cisco ISR and ASR’s required.
- Minimum five years supporting F5 LTM and GTM Load Balancers required.
- Minimum three years supporting Riverbed (or similar network acceleration utilities) required.
- Certifications such as CCNP, CCDP, or CCIE preferred
- ITIL v3 Foundations Certification
- Experience with at least 10 of the following technologies are required:
- Cisco ASR and ISR Routing platforms
- Cisco Nexus 7k/5k/2k and 6500 switching platforms
- Cisco ASA and Palo Alto Firewalls
- F5 LTM and GTM Load Balancers
- Switch Stacking Technology
- Switch QOS (Quality Of Service) and Router COS (Class of Service)
- WAN Optimization technology such as Riverbed
- Network Protocols: STP(Spanning Tree Protocol), VLAN(s), VRRP (Virtual Redundant Routing Protocol), HSRP (Hot Stand By Routing Protocol)
- MPLS Network Design
- Circuit fault tolerant failover support that utilizes DSL, Cable or Wireless technologies
- Branch Wireless access over private VPN
- TCP/IP Protocol Suite
- Management and support of SolarWinds Orion suite of products
- DNS, ARP, FTP, TFTP network based applications
- OSPF, BGP, and EIGRP interior and exterior routing protocols
- Experience troubleshooting complex network issues utilizing network sniffer based technologies
- Ability to provide 24 hours/day, 7 days/week on call emergency basis support for troubleshooting.
- Experience with enterprise class network management/monitoring systems is a plus.
- Understanding of operating system fundamentals (Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, etc.) is a plus.
- Communication skills (especially technical writing skills) an unrelenting customer focus, client need analysis, problem solving, multi-tasking, strong interpersonal skills, risk taking, documentation of operational issues and solutions, team player, mentoring and transfer of knowledge, project management skills.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel up to 20% of the time may be required.
- Off hours and weekend support is required, as needed.
Job Status: Full Time