Data Center Technician
- The project consists of relocating all servers, network gear, connectivity, etc. from a Colo in Herndon, VA to Columbus, Ohio.
- The technician will need to assist un-racking, decommissioning, boxing, equipment at the old location in Herndon, VA.
- There is a moving company scheduled to move the equipment, but we will need to re-install the equipment, patch it up, document all patching on cable matrices, extend the new circuits, etc. at the new location.
- Your team will not be required to move the equipment between states.
- Will require flex schedule for weekend work
- This role will require an extensive background check
The technician will be responsible for ensuring the continuity of Data Center operations, including the following:
- Maintain the Data Center active and offline IT asset inventory across multiple databases. Required services include:?
- Racking, un-racking, and asset tagging of Data Center equipment
- Labeling assets front and rear with device hostname
- Survey and provide rack location, SAN, Network, Power, and Rack Unit requirements for new assets based on Move/Add/Change requests (MAC)
- Maintain the Data Center cabinet elevations and network patch panel assignments
- Track, manage, and order copper and fiber patch cable inventory
- Extend Telco circuits
- Troubleshoot layer 1 network connectivity issues on mission critical production systems providing loopbacks, changing SFP’s and GBIC’s, and replacing cabling.
- Work as remote hands with other IT members during regular scheduled work or emergency MACs.
- Perform copper and fiber patching with proper cable management.
- Explain MAC scope of work to third party low voltage electricians or vendor support technicians
- Verification of asset tag, model number, and serial number for equipment to be installed in or removed from the data center
- Provide third party vendors all necessary cabling, adapters, and other components in support of MAC work
- Inspect readiness of equipment for installation (checking mounting hardware, brackets, and other accessories)
- Maintain communication with technical owners during MACs requiring coordination of multiple support teams
- Perform hardware preventative and break-fix maintenance, upgrades, and after service testing for hardware not covered by vendor support SLA contracts, as well as facilitate in-warranty services for vendor’s products. Required services include:?
- Installation of hard drives, memory, CMOS battery, power supplies, controller cards, write cache and battery-backed write cache upgrade or replacement
- Installation of PCI HBAs, NICs, Solarflare, FPGA and other low latency cards
- Swap of defective servers and server resets
- Troubleshoot switch/server port connectivity issues related to network cables or patch panels; checking/Fluking for VLAN info on network switch ports
- KVM, ilo, console, management troubleshooting
- Maintain readiness of hot swap servers in the data center staging cabinet for emergencies (Standby servers with documented processors, memory amount, hardware version, etc.)
- Short and long-term testing of servers in non-production space such as Labs or Staging area test cabinet especially after service repairs before returning equipment to production inventory
- Facilitate in-warranty parts replacement and services