Desktop Engineer - Direct Hire - Charlotte, NC
The position of Desktop Engineer is responsible for the creation of software packages for Windows based desktops and laptops, including testing and distribution.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Uses Software Distribution and Patch Management Tools to ensure critical product and security patches are deployed to all PC’s.
- Deploys packaged desktop software on an ad-hoc or rollout basis using enterprise desktop management tools with Tivoli Endpoint Manager (Bigfix), and track all software licensing, PC and software inventory.
- Conducts packaging QA and user acceptance tests.
- Designs automated installation processes for the workstations using Bigfix, AppV and Citrix XenApp or similar deployment tools to provide consistent and predictable services.
- Ensures all new and proposed software is packaged and tested with existing desktop image prior to deployment.
- Performs requirements gathering, initial engineering design, platform/environment integration and evolution planning to support highly reliable, available, scalable and cost-effective computing.
- Develops and implements infrastructure solutions in support of the desktop environment.
- Oversees the maintenance of all corporate images as hardware changes occur ensuring no incompatibilities.
- Interfaces with vendors for escalated support and advance product knowledge.
- Ensure managed service partners for end-point services and support are meeting contractual obligations, metrics and measures, and financial management
- Provides 24x7 support for all desktop/laptop and end-user devices for critical issues.
- Ensures internal and external customer satisfaction at all times.
- Identifies and implements improvements to enhance customer satisfaction on a continual basis.
- Develops and performs hands-on advanced (2nd and 3rd level) troubleshooting and repair procedures for hardware, software, and related end-user devices and peripherals as needed.
- Develops standards, best practices and documentation for providing support for all PC, desktop, laptops, and end-user devices.
- Created, reviews and updates processes for building images, configuring new and replacement PC’s.
- Support Jetadmin, McAfee EPO, Lenovo LTM Management Systems
- Works closely with the Distributed Computing Systems Team to support all Citrix clients and servers.
- Creates PC Support related documentation as required.
- Submit and Performs appropriate change control procedures with regards to all PC Support systems.
- Tracks all PC requests including new/replacement PC’s, open trouble tickets, software installs, and other requests.
- Produces and presents weekly status reports to IT Management.
- Works closely with the IT Help Desk group to ensure the team is ready to offer 2nd and 3rd level technical support.
- Supervises external resources and consulting as required tracks time and work accomplished to ensure maximum productivity.
- Acts as team lead for PC Support team in the PC Support Supervisor’s absence or as directed.
- Leads PC Support related projects utilizing internal and external resources as required.
- Works with the PC Support Supervisor to develop and track all PC Support related project budgets as required. Participates in the adherence to these budgets and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Consults with client’s departments, associates, and business partners to ensure understanding of the PC Support group’s business impact on each.
- Maintains leading-edge knowledge of all desktop and mobile technologies and their potential applications to client’s business strategy to ensure we make the right decisions through time to maximize client’s systems investment.
- Ensures the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Fosters the client Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of client’s vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum five years of packaging desktop software and designing distribution methods is required.
- Minimum five years desktop infrastructure engineering experience with desktops/laptops and Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and general business productivity software (i.e. MS Office, Visio, Adobe) within a corporate environment is required.
- Minimum five years working with application packaging, scripting and deployment of software BigFix required.
- Strong background in building, testing, updating, and deploying Windows operating systems in a large professional, business environment required.
- Advanced understanding of application packaging, software distribution, patch management, inventory and asset tracking required.
- Industry recognized certifications such as A+, MCSE or ITIL are preferred.
- Proven experience with building strategies and processes with in the desktop space required.
- Experience with Citrix clients and servers are required.
- Macintosh experience preferred.
- XENDESKTOP/ESX experience
- Tivoli Endpoint Manager (bigfix) experience required
- Imagex/dism experience required
- McAfee EPO experience required
- SharePoint Online/Office 365 experience required
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Advanced level application packaging for .exe and .msi files required.
- Expert knowledge of Windows 7/Win10/OSX and Windows Installer technologies required.
- Expert knowledge of at least one current enterprise software packaging tools (InstallShield, AdminStuido or Wise Package Studio) required.
- GPO – Group Policy Knowledge
- Working knowledge of applicable scripting languages (VBScript, InstallShield, Batch, Kixtart, WMI, Powershell) required.
- Excellent time management and organization skills required.
- Solid understanding of Windows Operating systems (Windows 7/10) and registry required.
- Working knowledge of Citrix is required.
- Understanding of Internet technologies, including encryption, SSL, Browsers, firewalls and proxies is required.
- Hands-on experience supporting Microsoft Latest Windows Operation Systems (Win7, Server 2016), O365
Job Status: Full Time