Director of Operations-Salem, VA
STATUS: Full-time Exempt
REPORTS TO: General Manager
Position Summary: Responsible for all operations activities (production, manufacturing engineering, quality, continuous improvement and production support), develop operations employees; and deliver results in an organization that is focused on thrilling customers. As part of your duties you will:
- Coach and direct the work of a team of leaders in every facet of operations.
- Plan, direct and coordinate all the manufacturing activities.
- Establish, implement and monitor methods and measures to ensure quality and low cost, timely shipments.
- Direct the development and implementation of standards and goals, ensuring they support the organization’s business plans.
- Facilitate and coordinate the flow of information necessary to plan and evaluate performance.
- Perform a variety of complicated tasks with a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
- Develop manufacturing plans and budgets, in conjunction with supporting functions, relating to materials, labor, capital equipment, quality and service levels, and procedures.
- Serve as site champion for Safety, Quality, Continuous Improvement, Production Performance, Environmental, and Budget attainment.
People Management Responsibilities:
- Solid experience in senior management with broad responsibilities, including overseeing all responsibilities for the Operations structure.
- Strong experience in built to order machining, final assembly environments, ideally with electro- mechanical products.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of and experience in high/low volume manufacturing in mechanical or electro-mechanical.
- Significant and demonstrated experience in successful implementation of Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and/or other continuous improvement programs.
- Experience in materials activities (procurement, planning, logistics).
- Working knowledge of cost accounting and thorough understanding of financial statements.
- Strong PC skills in business applications.
- Significant experience in and knowledge of the functionality and features of ERP systems, preferably JD Edwards.
- Demonstrated leadership and motivating skills.
- Excellent analytical abilities.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, including polished presentation abilities.
- High energy and the ability to handle multiple projects with high priorities.
- A proven track record of goal achievement, including deadlines and company goals.
- Travel will be required; both domestically and internationally, up to 15% of the time.
- Senior Management is accountable for the effectiveness of the Quality and Environmental management system and ensuring the systems conform to ISO 14001 and meet ISO 9001 standards.
- Ensuring that policy & objectives are established and aligned with the direction of the corporation
- Ensuring the resources needed are available
- Promoting continuous improvement
- Safety & Facility management
Lead our Operations team in close partnership with the General Manager. Perform management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Responsible for setting and maintaining a productive, positive, open, trusting, and can-do culture in the operations environment, and engaging in appropriate community events to ensure company is viewed as the employer of choice in the Roanoke Valley.
Education and/or Experience:
Contact Donna Smith at email@example.com or 540-314-8649
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering, another technical field, or Business; an advanced degree such as MBA or the desire to pursue an advanced degree is a plus.
- At least fifteen years of manufacturing experience with at least five years in operations management.